Bootstrap Case Family Services Directory

The Barnsley Council logo

Disabled Travel Pass for Children and Young People
What does the pass offer?
The Disabled Travel Pass gives children and young people FREE travel on buses, trams and trains across South Yorkshire and on Northern Rail Services between South Yorkshire and West Yorkshire.

It also gives FREE travel elsewhere in England on local bus services between 09:30am and 11:00pm on weekdays and all day at weekends and Bank Holidays.
How do I qualify for the pass?
Disabled children and young people must:

  • live in South Yorkshire (your household must pay Council Tax to Barnsley Council)
  • be blind or partially sighted
  • be deaf or without speech
  • have a disability or injury which has a large and long term negative effect on your walking
  • not have arms or have lost the use of your arms
  • have a learning disability
If you’re not sure, you can call Traveline on 01709 515151
What do I need to apply?
  • Proof of age, like a passport
    • A recent passport style photo
    • Proof of your entitlement such as: A Disability Living Allowance Entitlement showing you've been awarded the Higher Rate Mobility Component or A letter from the Department for Work and Pensions showing you've been awarded PIP (Personal Independence Payment) with an award of at least 8 points in either 'Moving Around' or 'Communicating Verbally.'
    How do I apply?
    You can apply at Travel South Yorkshire here

    The pass will be processed in 7 days and posted to you.
    What if I need a Carer?
    If you have a pass and get the Higher Rate Care Component of Disability Living Allowance or Higher Rate Attendance Allowance, the pass lets one carer travel with you for FREE. Your pass will have the 'plus C' logo.
    Jargon Buster : What does that mean?

    Componenta part or element of something. In this example part of the DLA claim.