Joint local area SEND inspection in Barnsley
Barnsley’s local area SEND inspection took place from the 20 to 24 September 2021. The inspection was led by one of Her Majesty's Inspectors from Ofsted, with a team including an Ofsted inspector and a children's services inspector from the CQC. During the week the inspection team spoke with children, young people parents and carers, partners and stakeholders including managers and leaders from the Barnsley’s education, health and social care services.
The purpose was to review how well Barnsley meets its responsibilities for children and young people (aged 0-25) who have SEND, focusing on three areas:
- How well we identify the needs of children and young people.
- How well we assess and meet needs of children and young people.
- How successful we are at getting the best outcomes for children and young people with SEND.
We are pleased that the Ofsted and the Care Quality Commission inspectors highlighted many strengths following our inspection, including the progress that we’ve made over the last two years. Despite this, and other highlights, the inspection also picked up on two areas which were of significant concern, comprising:
- The engagement of, and communication with, parents and carers. Local statutory partners need to ensure that the lived experience of families is influencing their strategic plans for services and provision.
- Improving the identification of, and provision for, children and young people with SEND but without an education, health and care plan (EHCP).
With our partners and stakeholders, we collaborated to coproduce a written statement of action (WSoA), outlining what we will do to improve in these two areas. We are pleased to announce that Ofsted have now approved our WSoA, which also forms part of our wider SEND Improvement Programme which we are committed to so that we can build on our strengths and the progress that we’ve already made, to transform and improve SEND services in the borough.
We would like to express our thanks to the many people who have been involved in this work so far. We will keep you posted with updates on progress.
You can download the Written Statement of Action below.